This blog provides instructions on how to setup Netgear wireless extender. Netgear wireless extender helps in keeping mobile devices, media players and computers connected to Wi-Fi with a strong connection. There are two processes to setup Netgear wireless extender. First, setting up wireless extender manually and second is connecting Netgear wireless extender using WPS. In this blog we will discuss the processes, how to setup Netgear Wi-Fi extender manually and how to connect Netgear wireless extender using WPS. To setup Netgear wireless extender manually follows the instructions mentioned below:
In case you have a Netgear extender with an Ethernet port,
- Netgear Wi-Fi extender is connected to the computer via Ethernet cable.
- Using http://mywifiext.net/ login to the Web user interface of your Netgear Wi-Fi extender.
Further, you will be assisted to enter a username and password. The default username is admin and default password is password, which are case sensitive.
- When logged in successfully then go to Setup and Wireless Settings.
- Check the password under the security options and if the password did not match with your router’s password then change the password so that both the password matches.
- Click on the Apply option and reconnect your Wi-Fi devices to the Netgear wireless extender.
In case you have a Netgear extender without an Ethernet port,
- Press and hold the Factory settings button on the side panel for 7 seconds to reset your Netgear wireless extender to keep it back on default settings.
- Now connect your Netgear wireless extender via Wi-Fi.
- By using http://mywifiext.net/ login to web user interface of Netgear Wi-Fi extender. Now a login page displays which will need the username and password. Use the default username and password.
- To setup your connection with your router follow the setup wizard. (You do not have to use WPS while reconnecting to the router).
- Now reconnect the Wi-Fi devices to your Netgear wireless extender.
Above discussed instructions can be used to setup Netgear Wi-Fi extender manually with an Ethernet port or without an Ethernet port. In case your Netgear wireless extender supports WPS (Wi-Fi Protected Setup), below are the steps mentioned to connect Netgear wireless extender using WPS button. Because sometimes it is questioned that how to connect Netgear wireless extender using WPS?
- For five seconds press and hold the WPS button on your Netgear extender. The LED of the WPS should blink.
- In a period of 2 minutes, press the WPS button on your router or access point, and then wait for further 2 minutes when the Netgear extender connects to the existing wireless network. The WPS LED on your extender turns solid green, the 2.4 GHz link rate LED lights up when successfully installed.In case 2.4 GHz link rate LED does not light up repeat the above given steps and check whether your router supports WPS or not.
- Just in case your router supports the 5 GHz band rerun steps 1 and 2 to connect the Netgear extender to 5 GHZ band. The 5 GHz Link Rate LED should light up if successful.
When the Netgear extender setup is complete, the extended network for each band broadcast as “network name_2GEXT” and “network name_5GEXT”. By using the same password as that of router’s network you can connect to the extender network. Hence, above steps can help you in connecting the Netgear wireless extender by WPS button.
With the help of above instructions you can now setup Netgear wireless extender. Whereas there are two processes for the installation which is also discussed in this article, that is, how to setup the Netgear wireless extender manually? Or how to connecting the Netgear wireless extender by WPS? By following the above Instructions the setup is complete. If any query or confusion feel free to contact us. We will be happy to help you.